At Chamberlain University, we are committed to making a difference in the lives of our students – and in the world. That’s why Chamberlain’s focus on student success extends well beyond the classroom and clinical environments, providing nursing students the opportunity to expand their educational and professional horizons through a full spectrum of social, cause-related and field experiences both locally and globally. Through these various programs and activities, Chamberlain University supports an integrated learning environment empowering our students to enhance those competencies for career readiness and have a transformational educational experience.
Students now can track and promote these experiences through Chamberlain ACHIEVE. ACHIEVE is a university-wide co-curriculum system designed to help students enhance their understanding of themselves, their community and the world through co curricular experiences.
ACHIEVE provides structure to the co-curricular experience by providing a system of record for students. Students can use this system to track activities and maximize their personal and professional development as a Chamberlain University student. And since each student is automatically enrolled in Chamberlain ACHIEVE, developing their co-curricular record and co-curricular transcript has never been easier.
The Chamberlain ACHIEVE core competencies and descriptions are based on Chamberlain University’s program outcomes and the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) guide on Career Readiness: Competencies for a Career-Ready Workforce.
The core competencies include:
- Care for Community – Advocate for and promote a climate of care and continued support through service to the community.
- Care for Self – Ability to demonstrate self-awareness, self-care and responsibility through a variety of healthy practices.
- Career Management – Ability to identify and articulate your skills, strengths, knowledge and experiences relevant your desired position and career goals, while identifying areas necessary for professional growth. You’ll also navigate and explore job options, understand and take the necessary steps to pursue opportunities and know how to self-advocate for opportunities in the workplace.
- Communication – Articulate thoughts and ideas clearly and effectively in written and oral forms to persons inside and outside of the university. You’ll demonstrate public speaking skill, ability to express ideas to others and can write/edit memos, letters and complex technical reports clearly.
- Critical and Analytical Thinking – Exercise sound reasoning to analyze issues, make decisions and overcome problems. You’ll be able to obtain, interpret and use knowledge, facts and data in this process and may demonstrate originality and inventiveness. Your critical thinking skills will also include the ability to recognize cause/effect and analyze potential solutions.
- Equity and Inclusion – Demonstrate the awareness, attitude, knowledge and skills required to equitably engage and include people from different local and global cultures. Engage in anti-racist practices that actively challenge the systems, structures and policies of racism.
- Leadership – Leverage the strengths of others to achieve common goals and use interpersonal skills to coach and develop others. You’ll be able to assess and manage your emotions and those of others, use empathetic skills to guide and motivate and organize, prioritize and delegate work.
- Professionalism – Demonstrate emotional intelligence, personal accountability and effective work habits, e.g., punctuality, working productively with others, time/workload management and an understanding of the impact non-verbal communication has on professional work image. You’ll show integrity and ethical behavior – acting responsibly with the interests of the larger community in mind – and how to learn from your mistakes. You’ll also demonstrate self-awareness, self-management, social awareness and relationship management.
- Teamwork – Build collaborative relationships with colleagues and customers representing diverse cultures, races, ages, genders, religions, lifestyles and viewpoints. You’ll be able to work within a team structure and can negotiate and manage conflict.
- Technology – Understand and leverage technologies ethically to enhance efficiencies, complete tasks and accomplish goals.