Sufficient technology and Internet access is required to complete Chamberlain online classes.
The following list will help verify that you are adequately equipped.
- Specific curricula for courses may require additional software purchases. Any additional software requirements will be provided in the syllabi for your courses.
- Computer specifications are reviewed and revised bi-annually to accommodate changes in technology. While every attempt is made to ensure that these specifications satisfy all curricular needs for students completing courses, Chamberlain reserves the right to require upgrades in the event of technology changes. Students will be given 90 days notice before such changes are implemented.
- While tablets, smartphones and other mobile devices may allow for some completion of coursework, they are not guaranteed to work in all areas. Please ensure you have a Windows (preferred) or Mac-based computer available to complete coursework in the event your selected mobile device does not meet the needs of the course. The Help Desk does not provide technical support for tablets, smartphones and other mobile devices at this time.
- Students who need assistive technologies will have different computer and technology requirements. Please check with your academic support advisor to determine the requirements for the specific technologies needed to support your online classes.
For questions regarding these requirements, phone the Help Desk at 877.366.9388.
Chamberlain University is highly committed to your success as a student. As a forward-thinking institution, we rely heavily on technology, which is why it is so important that you have the right equipment for your student endeavors. Chamberlain University requires that all students own a laptop/computer and that you have a high-speed Internet connection. Although it is suggested that students obtain the highest quality products available to them, the following are the minimum technology requirements for the programs offered by Chamberlain.
Note: Chromebooks are not supported.
|Operating System (PC)1||Microsoft Windows 10||Microsoft Windows 11|
|Operating System (Mac)2||macOS X 11 (Big Sur)||macOS X 12 (Monterey)|
|Processor||Intel: i5 Processor AMD: Ryzen 3||Intel: i7 Processor AMD: Ryzen 5|
|Graphics||Intel HD 6000 Integrated video card that supports 1024 X 768||Intel iris 540/GeForce GTX 960/Radeon RX470 or higher that supports 1920 X 1080|
|Hard Drive||250GB standard hard drive||512GB solid state hard drive or greater|
|Memory||8GB random access memory (RAM)||16GB RAM or greater|
|Networking||Integrated Gigabit Ethernet and Wi-Fi ac/a/n||Integrated Gigabit Ethernet and Wi-Fi ac/a/n|
|Devices||720p Webcam and Microphone||1080 (HD) Webcam and USB Headset with microphone|
|Internet Connection3||LAN, cable or DSL connection of 5Mb down/2.5Mb up||LAN, cable or DSL connection of 10Mb down/5Mb up|
The Windows version must be a 64 bit OS. Windows 10 S Mode and Windows RT are not supported: support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4456067/windows-10-switch-out-of-s-mode
Mac OS 11 and newer is supported, but there are some applications that may require Windows OS. Be prepared to run a Windows OS instance if you elect to use a Mac system by installing Boot Camp: support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468. Apple's M1 Chip processor, supported by Apple's Boot Camp, does not support installing Windows in this new processor. Use Parallels software to install Windows instead.
How to test your computer speed: speedtest.net
Please use the Device Inspector tool to check your computer or laptop and ensure you are meeting at least the minimum requirements: atge.deviceinspector.adtalem.com/.
Operating System Updates
It is important to ensure that your Windows and/or macOS critical updates remain current. As Microsoft and Apple find weaknesses in their operating systems, updates that can be downloaded are posted. These updates can be set to occur automatically. Your Windows and/or macOS updates should be checked on a weekly basis.
- How to update Windows OS: support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027667/windows-10-update
- How to update macOS: support.apple.com/en-us/HT201541
Course content and technologies can be accessed via mobile devices. Some functionality may not be available via mobile device, so you will also need a laptop/desktop for some online coursework. For the best student experience, the devices below are recommended:
Microsoft Office 365: A complimentary Microsoft Office 365 subscription is available to matriculating students through the My Chamberlain portal for as long as you are an active student with the University. You can access and install your Microsoft 365 subscription during Preview Week, which is the week prior to the start of each term.
Instructions on how to obtain MS Office365: You need to use your Chamberlain email and password to access the resource below: mychamberlain.sharepoint.com/sites/StudentResourceCenter/SitePages/Office365.aspx.
Internet Connectivity & Browsers
Internet access is required to participate in online components of your courses at Chamberlain University. If you connect to the internet through your workplace, you may need to ensure that appropriate plug-ins and access rights are available to you. Check with your employer's IT department to ensure that you may access course materials from your workplace’s network.
Supported Internet Browsers
- Mozilla Firefox – Version 94 or newer
- Google Chrome – Version 96 or newer
- Microsoft Edge – Version 95 or newer
- Apple Safari – Version 15 or newer
Cookies must be enabled. For help, visit: whatismybrowser.com/guides/how-to-enable-cookies/
Pop-up windows must be enabled. For help, visit support.vhlcentral.com/hc/en-us/articles/216615857-A-Master-Guide-How-to-adjust-Pop-up-Blocker-on-Your-Web-Browser
A valid email address is required for participation in components of your coursework. You are required to use the University supplied email address in order to access resources and applications such as MS Office 365 and the Student Resource Center. It will help to avoid issues with spam blockers that may prevent you from receiving email from your instructors. In addition, your University email allows you to participate in special student offers, available only to students with a .edu email address.
To access Chamberlain email accounts, log onto the My Chamberlain portal at community.chamberlain.edu and click My Student Email.